Building’s next generation get a taste of all things timber
Barwon Timber supports a number of local community groups. This year we have sponsored the Geelong Technical Education Centre (GTEC) part of the Gordon TAFE.
In addition to financial sponsorship, Eddy at Barwon Timber has been giving Building and Construction students a tour of Barwon Timber, our dry mill and Bar-Truss. These tours introduce students to timber and our industries and customers may have seen large groups of students in fluoro with Eddy at Barwon.
Our site tours enable students to learn about the following.
- Timber and building products and what these can be used for.
- The timber industry and career opportunities.
- Site safety.
- How and why timber is dried (Barwon Timber has a kiln on site).
- Timber machining, treatment and cutting.
- Frame and truss manufacturing.
- Large section timbers available – this includes Oregon and Spotted Gum.
- An insight to how a business operates and what’s involved supplying our customers and providing a high level of customer service.
- Finished products and applications in our showroom.
Eddy got some feedback from GTEC’s Industry Liaison Officer, Glen on what the students gained from the tours.
“The tour of Barwon Timber is a great starting point for our Year 10 students who want to be carpenters. Being shown the flooring showroom, the Hardware Department & the Timber Depot were very informative. Your insights into the termite treatment of timber & where the timber is sourced from was interesting, also the drying racks & the pre-fab shed was great. The sawmill was also interesting with the huge pieces of timber, the treatment plant & the band saw. The students took away a better understanding about timber & also the history of a long standing Geelong business.”